Monday, December 21, 2009

Reed 8 Days Old

Reed is 8 days old today. The last 8 days feel like a blur. I have felt a whirlwind of emotions, and feel numb at the same time. It seems I'm unable to think about or plan more than one day at a time. I spent a lot of time with Reed today. It helps me deal with the guilt I feel, having a sick baby when I am perfectly healthy.

Here is the update.
Reed had fevers yesterday. They are testing body fluids for bacteria; urine, blood, lung secretions, nasal cavity, and eyes. So far the only culture back was his nose, and it showed he does not have the flu or a cold. So that's good. The others will come back tomorrow. No results back yet on his echo-cardiogram. Reed is still on the ventilator, thick lung secretions having to be suctioned quite often. His skin looks creamy now, instead of that fake tan jaundice look new babies have. He had two IV lines removed today, and his arterial line, so both arms and legs are free! Yay! He is still getting his nutrition through a PICC line in his scalp.

I cannot thank everyone enough. We are so blessed to know the good people we know. Help with babysitting and dinners has made it so I can spend time with Reed. We get emails with positive messages and prayers everyday. My mom being here was such a help for me emotionally. I can't wait for the day we bring him home. I told Rylan that I'm going to carry him around all day, and not share:) Can you blame me?

3 comments:

  1. Oh Layne what a great mom you are. Of course you are in our prayers. Love to you all. Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Layne! You do deserve to carry little Reed around all day long.

    Still praying. Thanks for the updates! You know we are so close to the hospital so let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in my prayers! Hang in there Layne, can't imagine the feeling and emotions you are going. I have been telling my oldest, Jack, all that is going on with Reed because Rylan was his teacher in primary. It is so sweet to hear a child offer a prayer for another child. Just wanted you to know we are thinking of you daily!

    ReplyDelete

You Love Us!