Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sampler Quilt



I did it! I finished my first quilt last night. I started it in July in a class with some friends, worked on it a ton along the way, and finally I'm done! It is called a "sampler" because each block is different, learning new skills as you go. I have a new reverence for our mothers of past times, who hand pieced scraps of fabric together to make useful warm quilts. I also now know that quilting is a labour of love. Its so much work, you better love it or you will quit. So I think I love it, because the finished product is so great. Thanks to Sara, for sharing her love of quilting with beginners who don't have a clue what they are doing.

My quilt has already been indoctrinated into the Evans family. Last night I was hand sewing the binding on, when Anisten ran up to me holding her tummy and puked everywhere (yes it got all over the quilt!, carpet, me and Rylan). I stayed up really late finishing the binding so I could wash it. That's the way things roll over here.

2 comments:

  1. I. LOVE. IT! Love your post, love your quilt, love everything! You should be proud of yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so cute Layne! Did you coordinate your fabrics or was that all picked for you?

    ReplyDelete

You Love Us!