Monday, September 6, 2010

Documentary- The Business of Being Born

To the women in my life: YOU have got to watch this documentary! Information is power. We need to be informed. All women need to see this, whether you are birthing age or not. My friend watched it and recommended that I see it. I found it on our NetFlix instant queue, under the documentary tab. Careful, you strong women may change your opinions....
"Birth is a miracle, a rite of passage, a natural part of life. But birth is also big business.
Compelled to explore the subject after the delivery of her first child, actress Ricki Lake recruits filmmaker Abby Epstein to question the way American women have babies.
The film interlaces intimate birth stories with surprising historical, political and scientific insights and shocking statistics about the current maternity care system. When director Epstein discovers she is pregnant during the making of the film, the journey becomes even more personal.
Should most births be viewed as a natural life process, or should every delivery be treated as a potentially catastrophic medical emergency?"

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhh hahahahaha!!! We weren't expecting naked, laboring Ricki Lake. Matt started eating his dinner while I watched it and left the room.

    When I became pregnant with Jared, I turned into such a granola. I did a lot of research and decided drugs were not for me. I already knew I wouldn't be getting an epidural, but I had been open to IV drugs. That changed quickly when I read about complications, that lead to interventions, leading to more complications. I decided I was going to endure the pain no matter what.

    After Jared's birth (nightmare), I realized I should have taken charge with the doctor who wouldn't let me walk around or even use the bathroom. Every woman should know that it is their labor and no one has the right to force anything on them that they instinctively know isn't good for them. Interesting documentary. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, since I have talked to you about this documentary I have talked myself into the natural route and then wussed out and then talked myself back into the natural route and then talked myself back out... and I'm not even pregnant:)!
    I loved the information. I loved watching the natural birthing process. It was all so new and fascinating to me. I know I'm going to stew over this one for awhile.
    We'll talk more later, I've got to get Malachi off to school. Are you going to playgroup this week?

    ReplyDelete

You Love Us!